My Best Friend Murphy

My Best Friend    Murphy
My Best Friend Murphy

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Spring 2014

Well it is spring again. I have a ton of blue Orpington baby's ready to go. Big Blue and his girls are quite fertile.. On a totally different note I have Sweet Grass Turkeys getting ready to hatch. They are very large and calm. Moms make great mothers. Toms get to 28 and hens get to 16-18. Big Thanksgiving bird. I have been candling and believe that there are eight (out of 12) viable. We will see how this goes. I am excited and anxious all at the same time. This is my first time hatching Turkeys. Also I am really excited because I have been able to score some of the rarer colored Orpingtons. I will soon be hatching Chocolate, Crere, and Red. I am really excited about these. There are very few farms in the US that have these colors and I am looking forward to offering them next year. There is so much to do on the farm that it is hard to keep up with everything especially in the heat. I do believe that we are going to have an extremely hot summer, it is already hitting 90's and it is not even officially summer. I have planted my straw bale garden again this year. I put in tomato's cukes, garlic, peas, beans (of all kinds) eggplant, squash and I don't know what else. I am trying to grow as much of my own food as possible because of all the junk that is put on food at the grocery stores. Last year I kind of just tested the straw bales and found them pretty good. I still need to hook up a drip hose and I got a timer so they would get watered regularly but it won't work unless I hook it up!!! I will be hatching for about a month more, and will try to keep up better with this blog (I hope).

1 comment: